BEST OFFERS

Friday 24 January 2014

Suneil Shetty association with the CCL



Suneil Shetty

1.      How did your association with the CCL come along? What about it convinced you to be a part of the league?
I guess my obsession for cricket, my obsession for wanting to do something. There was a league few years back named Film Cricket Association but unfortunately it didn’t take off. This time what happened was it came from a recognized company, Sohail and Vishnu decided to do it and the obsession of cricket got us to go for it and it is such a beautiful property today.
2.      You are the captain of Mumbai Heroes. Tell us something about the team. Also, what is the bond amongst the players like?
I will say Brilliant. I don’t think heroes (Lead actors) have bonded like this before. Because you play together, you travel together and it’s not only about my team or our team bonding but it’s the bonding between all the other celebs from all the different languages. They get a platform to showcase their talent which is fantastic. I think this time we have a pretty good sight with lots of good actors. We lost Ritesh of course but we have Aftab, Bobby, Randeep Hooda, Zayed Khan, Sonu Sood, Sameer Kochchar a whole lot of them, a whole lot of actors who are a part of this team so it’s exciting
3.      How were the members of the team selected?
Basically if it’s a category ‘A’ actor, he should have done at least 3 lead films or if it’s a character then 10 minutes in 6 films. Of course we have a coach, a physio, a bowling coach, a fielding coach, they are the one who decide who are final playing 11 is, depending on their fitness and their game their combination.
4.      There are members from the film fraternity who are involved in the league. Do you think being part of the same league has also helped you bond with them, especially those who you wouldn’t have got a chance to know this well otherwise?
Of course, the Malyali team, I accept I never knew anybody, but today I know Rajeev and the entire gang, Kicha and his team, Manoj Tiwari and his team. So I think here we met actors from all different states and languages which is fantastic which just shows the strength of CCL and if they want to do something good what an fantastic platform it is to turn anything around.
5.      Can you think of anyone who you’ve come to be very close to thanks to CCL?
Sohail, I forgot Sohail. I guess I put him as an owner of the team so I didn’t mention him as a player but he is a hard hitting batsman. He is always like a little brother to me because he assisted me when I did my first, when I was launched in Arzoo, he was this young assistant. Also I kept my relation with him all along, but thanks to CCL it’s unbelievable bonding. I feel I always have this little brother of mine who is around. 
6.      Which other team/player from the CCL do you consider a threat for Mumbai Heroes?
I guess, most teams are a threat as they play fantastic, but I also have a complain that a whole lot of them are taking professionals and are making them actors as its easier for them to do that as they finish their films in 15 or 20 days whereas in Bollywood it’s not possible. That is the only complain I have and at the same time I believe that because of that all other teams are a threat.
7.      Are you interested in sports otherwise? If yes, what all sports do you follow/play?
My obsession is sport, of course my obsession is Cricket, but I was also the brand ambassador of Hockey in the country. It could be Kho Kho, it could be any sport, we are always there to support, and that is why I think the CCL league has become the league that it is. As we actors always came together for a cause. We play cricket to raise funds for charity and that is what bought about the tournament called CCL.
8.      Did you grow up playing sports? Tell us something about your childhood/youth. How involved you were in physical activities?
I only did physical activity; it was studies I was forced into, but I did pretty well in school. My only obsession was to play for the country. It could be Cricket and or Kho Kho but I wanted to play for the country but unfortunately I couldn’t. There was a time when politics was intense in sports unlike today where you know people from smaller states and smaller region come in and pure talent it’s there. But I am happy that this obsession stayed which moved on to martial arts, which got me my break into films and physical fitness for me is everything, so table tennis, squash, Swimming, hockey or its cricket or football I am an obsessive player
9.      Who are your favorite cricketers from the India team?
Wow, plenty, each one for what he is. Of course the legend has retire but I believe that one of the finest player this country has seen from the long long time is M.S. Dhoni, he has single handedly comes in when the team is in Dol drums and bails the team out. For me it’s Dhoni all the way but at the same time you have talent like Virat, Yuvraj, Cheteshwar Pujara, Rohit Sharma who are fantastic. I think the Indian cricket team is a young team and hence will go through its ups and down but I guess in next few years we will see a sport at its best when it comes to Cricket.
10.   When not playing in the CCL, do you ever get together with friends from the film industry to play a sport – cricket or any other? Also, who all from the film industry are you likely to be caught playing with?
I think it’s a daily obsession, everyday on the sets that is one thing we are always doing. Whenever we get a break and when you get a director like Aneez Bazmi or Priyadarshan its Cricket all the way. You work like a dog all day and then they will push you to play cricket all night.               
11.   Do you ever turn to friends in the India cricket team for help/friendly advice? If not them, who is your go-to person, in the team or outside, for any queries/help?
We have got fantastic coaches and we have got coaches that we believe in and depend on when it comes to Cricket, coz over a period of time the game is changed. We used to play test match for 3 days, then it moved to 50 overs and now 20 – 20 which is a fast paced game. I am the captain because of my age and not because of anything else. It’s a faster game; it’s for young people so you are taking advice all the time.
12.   Anything else you’d like to say to your fans and our readers?
Watch CCL, it’s a league that you will enjoy because its crickentainment at its best.

PM to visit Maharashtra on 5th October

Prime Minister's Office azadi ka amrit mahotsavg20-india-2023 PM to visit Maharashtra on 5th October PM to launch various initiatives re...